10 simple steps to creating a free online Personal English Learning Network
There are millions of English learners trying to practise their English speaking skills online for free. However, most of the time they fail to find people willing to regularly help them. Why is this?
This article will explain how our unique ebook English courses use speaking tasks and will give you advice on how to build your own free and highly effective Personal English Learning Network using free online social media.
English Out There (EOT) ebook English courses give you a way to start talking. Instead of repeating the same old questions that bore and sometimes annoy friendly English speakers online such as "Where do you live?" and "What time is it there?", EOT ebooks prepare you to ask interesting questions that engage your speaking partners from the start of the conversation.
The speaking task requires you to use the language from the lesson with your English speaking friends. You can speak with as many people as you want online using Skype or on the street and it costs you nothing.
In fact we recommend that you speak to about four or five people each time you do a lesson because it provides repetition that is not boring. It is not boring because every conversation is slightly different and, once the language from the lesson has been used, conversations will go in different and stimulating directions that will keep you learning and interacting in English.
So, you should definitely get the focused practice from the lesson done first and then let the conversation take its own course, have fun and connect socially with your English speaking friends.
But, a word of WARNING
, you must keep every conversation fairly short and always, but always, be the first to say 'Ok, thanks for your time, I have to go now'. This will make your English speaking friends happy to talk to you again the next time you have done a lesson. This is because they will know that you are properly prepared, will ask interesting questions and will then let them get on with their day. It's all about building trust and not wasting people's time.
So, how do you find your English speaking friends and create your own Personal English Out There Learning Network? Just follow the process below and you will soon have unlimited English speaking opportunities for free whenever you want them:
- Join an international social network like Facebook and a free online web phone like Skype, then make some online friends by joining groups that promote friendship, use the search tool to find groups under ‘meet new people' or 'make friends'
- Contact people using the words "Hi, I am using a new system called English Out There can I practise English with you, it will only take a few minutes each time", in the text chat system and using the special pre-written EOT message in our ‘Social Media Tool Kit'
- Make as many English speaking friends as you can, preferably in different time zones and with different accents, 15 to 20 should be enough
- The more practice partners you have the more likely you will be able to practice 24/7 and be able to hear global English
- Do the lesson and prepare the Out There Task questions
- See who is online and text them to see if they can talk
- Call those who say ‘yes' and use the language from the lesson to break the ice and get going
- Talk for about five or six minutes and then say "Goodbye".
- Text another friend in your network and ask the same questions again.
- Repeat four or five times with different people in your network.
Ask your questions, have a quick chat and then GO! You will be amazed with the results.
Collage image courtesy of: educationaltechnologyguy.blogspot.com